Shilling Spay & Neuter is hiring for 2 positionsSep 01 2020
A.L. Shilling Spay & Neuter, Inc. is currently seeking an Experienced Licensed Veterinary Technician to join our team!
Candidates must be compassionate, treat all animals with great care and be comfortable working with both dogs and cats of varying breeds and personalities.
Candidates must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, must be able to multi-task and be able to prioritize, stay on task and function efficiently.
The Veterinary Technician (Vet Tech) is responsible for assisting Veterinarians in the care of animals. The Vet Tech helps during patient examinations and surgical procedures by restraining animals when necessary, stocking examination and surgery rooms with supplies, sterilizing tools and ensuring that equipment is in working order, check vital statistics, administer medication, and anesthesia. Restrain animals in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner during examinations and procedures. Prepare and set up for surgical procedures while utilizing knowledge of proper sterile field requirements and monitoring anesthesia during surgery and recovery. Accurately
prepare and dispense medications as directed by the doctor, ensuring that medications are added to the pet’s record. Know vaccination guidelines within the hospital and administer vaccinations under the direction of the doctor.
Requires a Virginia Veterinary Technician license and High School diploma or GED certificate, with two (2) years’ experience as a Veterinary Technician experience preferred.
Must possess strong communication skills, good judgment and be able to manage stressful situations.
Must have the physical and mental capacity to perform in a fast-paced environment.
Medical procedures and animal handling will be trained thoroughly on the job; however, excellent communication skills, a sense of urgency, and working harmoniously with teammates is required.
Must be dependable and demonstrate strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
If you are interested in this position please email your resume or CV to
A.L. Shilling Spay & Neuter, Inc. is hiring a part-time Veterinary Assistant. This position assists the veterinarian and the licensed veterinary technicians (LVT). The veterinary assistant is responsible for providing excellent animal care for the animals at our facility at all times. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, animal restraint, surgical preparation, and thorough cleaning of the facility as needed throughout the day.
- Assist veterinary staff with intake and discharge of spay/neuter surgical patients
- Assist veterinary technicians with surgical preparation of spay/neuter surgical patients
- Monitor and maintain patients under anesthesia
- Assist veterinary technicians with recovery of spay/neuter surgical patients including
- Restrain animals appropriately and safely
- Keep spay/neuter facility clean, tidy and disinfected at all times (including but not limited to
treatment, surgery, cages, lobby)
- Keep spay/neuter facility stocked with supplies at all times (including but not limited to
treatment, surgery, cages, lobby, and bathroom)
- Maintain, clean and sterilize instruments and packs; includes use of proper instrument handling
and autoclave use as well as notifying technician staff of instruments in need of sharpening, repair or replacement
- Assist with the preparation of prescriptions for animals as directed by the staff veterinarian or LVT
- Perform all other duties as needed
- Minimum of one year working in a veterinary clinic. High volume veterinary clinic experience preferred.
- Proven organizational skills and effective communication.
- Competent animal handler
- Must be comfortable handling dogs and cats on a daily basis.
- Frequent exposure to and/or handling of industrial cleaning supplies.
- Ability to lift/carry animals up to 50 lbs. without assistance and >50 lbs. with assistance
- Frequent walking, bending and stooping.
To apply for this position please email your resume or CV to